Malware (malicious software) involves various forms of infections and viruses. There are different ways for a harmful program to hack into your computer, but in most cases, it is because of a download the user initiated. One wrong click can turn a smooth-running PC into a serious problem. Malwarebytes is anti-malware software specifically designed to protect computers from backdoors, rootkits, Trojans, viruses, spy software, and various other issues.
While antivirus software offers protection against malware, it is not specifically designed for “just” malicious software. Malwarebytes contains technology you will not find in antivirus software. It utilizes these additional features to provide a better level of protection.
Individuals only spending time on the Internet for fun, are typically the ones inclined to purchase anti-malware as opposed to antivirus software. Their focus does not include parental controls, data backup, and all the other benefits associated with antivirus products.
Malwarebytes offers two different products:
- Anti-Malware Free
- Anti-Malware PRO
Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for free: https://www.malwarebytes.org/
Anti-Malware Free Features and Benefits
In most cases, you do not want to utilize free software, unless you are testing the product. Malwarebytes offers free malware protection with their Anti-Malware Free version, but it only offers half the benefits:
- Advanced Malware Detection and Removal – We tested this out and it only takes about 5 to 7 minutes to run a full scan. Once it finds the malware, you click a couple buttons and they are removed from your system.
However, you will most likely have to reboot your computer for the removals to take effect.
- Chameleon Technology – Even if your system is already infected, Malwarebytes can secretly start running on your PC.
- Clean-up Technology – This tool removes existing malware infections.
- Rapid Response – Fast updates to keep intruders from getting through out-of-date software.
A couple other benefits associated with the free version are the available access to the community forum and the multi-lingual support.
Anti-Malware PRO Features and Benefits
Upgrading to Anti-Malware PRO gives you an opportunity to utilize:
- Automatic Priority Updates – Eliminates the need for you to remember to update Malwarebytes.
- Heuristic Protection – When other solutions are impractical, heuristic protection begins.
- Malicious Website Protection – Eliminates the risk of visiting a malicious website.
- Quicker Flash Scans – Spend less time waiting for the computer to scan for infections.
- Scheduled Scanning – Schedule each scan around your personal Internet use.
- Real-Time Active Malware Prevention – Keeps known threats from infecting your computer in real-time.
We have tested these features and they are helpful. In addition, Malwarebytes offers a 14-day trial for their Anti-Malware PRO software. If you have been considering Malwarebytes, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the system. We found it to be fast, efficient, and user-friendly.
Most customer reviews believe the current version of Malwarebytes is the best one to date. It detects more infections than AV and AVG, provides regular updates, and is considered a “trusted” software.
The only drawbacks we have found is that Malwarebytes tends to crash on older systems. However, we have never had any problems with this software on Windows 7. Our recommendation would be to try out the two-week trial and see how it affects your OS. It will allow you to see if Malwarebytes is a smarter choice over antivirus software.